ZOOMINESCENCE, A FESTIVAL OF LIGHT
LIGHT IS ENERGIZING. LIGHT IS REVITALIZING.
DATES: DECEMBER 1 – 3, 8 – 10, 15 – 17, 22 – 24 & 26 – 31, 2017 | 5 – 9 PM
Edmonton, the most northern city in North America with a population of over one million, is a world renowned winter metropolis with the proud title of Festival City. This December, Zoominescence, hosted by the Valley Zoo Development Society, will stage a spectacular exhibition of artistic light installations within the unique setting of the Edmonton Valley Zoo.
The festival’s vision is to celebrate light, artistry, imagination and the strong spirit of our community in the winter. It will run for a 18 day period every December weekend.
CALL TO ARTISTS
Calling all creatives! We are currently seeking organizations or individuals (local artists, architects, designers) with a passion for the arts and the environment to share their vision with the local community. We invite anyone with an artistic vision to design an exhibit for the festival.
The theme of the competition is “Canada 150 & Our Energy Future”. Individuals or teams are able to work with different light materials, ice sculptures or any other creative ideas to design a winter light themed exhibit that either celebrates Canada’s 150th Anniversary or showcases renewable or alternative energy methods in its construction. Keep in mind, many of these exhibits will also include the stars of the Edmonton Valley Zoo themselves, the animals!
A few things to keep in mind regarding the competition application is:
- Chosen projects will be provided with a budget of $3,500.00. Your use of the funds is discretionary as long as the project approved is the project built.
- Power will be provided by the Edmonton Valley Zoo, you just need to ensure the exhibit is maintained: keep in mind our harsh winter conditions. Your project must include power needs and specifications…keeping in mind alternative energy sources are the preferred manner. We require our artists to use timers to minimize the power used during the 10 day festival period.
- Be creative: anything goes here with materials, this can be ice, lights, anything! Just let us know what we can help provide to you!
- This is fun! So keep it lighthearted and enjoyable! We want energetic people with a love of the arts to share in this experience.
Project submission deadline is August 1st, 2017. A map is provided to you in the information package outlining the areas for installations and their sizes. A judging panel of industry leaders will take place in July and August. Winning projects will be notified September 1st and announced shortly after. If your submission is selected, you will receive your funding of $3500 within a shortly after the announcement.
Participants must submit a detailed project outline that includes a rendering, material list, required footprint and a description of how their installation either encompasses alternative energy or sends a message about energy consumption by August 1st, 2017. Applicants must include a plan for installation and teardown, including timeline to install and maintenance requirements during the entire festival. You can mail, fax or email your submissions to the following:
Valley Zoo Development Society
13315 Buena Vista Road Box 2359
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
An information evening will be planned shortly after successful applicants are selected. At that point in time applicant will be able to select the location of their installations. If you would like to come and see the site please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please complete the following application about your project. For more information, please call the Valley Zoo Development Society at 780-496-6924. Or email email@example.com. Thank you for your support!
The main objective of this festival is to drive new traffic to the Edmonton Valley Zoo and to draw community awareness to the fact that the Edmonton Valley Zoo is a year-round facility currently undergoing a major transformation. As well, we want to share the art of local community groups, schools, and organizations in a unique way. We hope to provide another way for Edmontonians to enjoy their winter city. The Festival of Light, in partnership with the City of Edmonton, has complete ownership of all its programs and assets, which can be customized to leverage niche partner brand.
Partnering with Zoominescence, a Festival of Light provides opportunity for:
- Brand recognition with a loyal, family-centric audience.
- Regional exposure with an expected 30,000 on-site visitors and up to 1 million regional imprints via television, radio, and internet coverage.
- Generating goodwill and support for the communities in Edmonton.
- Promoting winter city initiatives, family-centric values and development for the Capital Region.
The Festival of Light has multiple levels of Sponsorship; each level is customizable to our Partner’s goals and objectives.
2018 ZooFest Sponsorship Opportunities are not yet available! If you would like to learn about other event sponsorship opportunities that are currently available, follow the link below! Thank you in advance for your support!
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children's future and the planet!