Looking for a job that is fun and rewarding? The Valley Zoo Development Society’s mission is to raise funds and promote awareness to ensure the continued development of the Edmonton Valley Zoo. This is achieved through the events and various programs that the VZDS runs throughout the year. Each year the Valley Zoo Development Society donates thousands to the Edmonton Valley Zoo for development and continual improvement. Recently the VZDS has committed to raising over $9 million dollars to fund the Natures Wild Back Yard portion of the Valley Zoo Revitalization project. If you would like to be a part of our team and help us reach our goal, apply for one of the jobs listed below.
CURRENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Employer: Valley Zoo development Society
Position: Director of Fund Development
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Director of Fund Development has oversight for the strategy, planning, execution, success and sustainability of a dynamic, integrated development program that will maximize the Valley Zoo Development Society’s (VZDS) ability to raise funds to support the highest priorities of VZDS and its mission and vision.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Fund Development will lead and oversee all fundraising activities for VZDS including but not limited to being accountable for providing strategic leadership for any future team of fundraising professionals, and all activities associated with the design, organization, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of individual and corporate giving, corporate partnerships, sponsorships, grant writing, planned giving, third party events, and special events. Currently the fundraising goal for this fiscal is $1,250,000.
In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, develop, deliver, and evaluate a successful, integrated fundraising program that supports the annual fundraising priorities of the VZDS;
Participate in the strategic planning process and in the establishment of fundraising priorities and goals, including fundraising case elements;
- Develop and execute fund development plans with appropriate goals and strategies for fundraising activities and programs, including major, annual and planned giving initiatives, corporate partnerships, cause marketing, sponsorships, third party and special events, grants and lotteries;
- Introduce and maintain effective reporting tools to measure the success of various development strategies, programs, initiatives and activities, implementing improvements as required to achieve targets;
- Responsible for the management of the fundraising database ensuring the timely distribution of tax receipts;
- Participate in the planning and execution of major and planned giving stewardship and recognition events; and
- Create the fund development budget, monitor revenue and expenses, and recommend any necessary changes as the year progresses in line with overall VZDS objectives.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Meaningfully engage the board and provide support as required in achieving the VZDS fundraising goals and objectives;
- Build relationships with corporate Edmonton to identify opportunities for partnership or sponsorship;
- Demonstrate measurable progress in building new relationships on behalf of the VZDS; and
- Manage the transition/implementation of a new customized fundraising database.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-Secondary education in a relevant field;
- University degree is desirable;
- and Canadian Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or membership to a related professional association will be considered an asset.
- 5 years’ progressive leadership experience in professional fundraising;
- Demonstrated experience and success in cultivating major gifts and planned gifts;
- Experience in multi-year strategic planning, financial budgeting, budget implementation and revenue forecasting;
- Previous experience offering mentorship and support to a board or fundraising cabinet on best practices;
Experience with fundraising events and lotteries; and
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management.
Competencies and Attributes
- Outstanding verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Understanding of and commitment to the VZDS mission, vision and values;
- Ability to articulate and translate the importance of the VZDS mission and values into fundraising success;
- Ability to think strategically and work independently to drive new initiatives or enhance existing programs;
- Ability to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors, sponsors, and senior-level volunteers;
- High level of poise, tact and judgement;
- Self-directed, with excellent organizational, problem-solving and time-management skills;
- Strong collaboration/negotiation skills, ability to bring people to joint decisions in an effective manner;
- Articulate and persuasive;
- Understanding of fundraising measurement, metrics, and evaluation;
- Superior understanding of charitable fundraising laws and requirements;
- A hands-on professional who leads by example, is respectful and inspires others to do and be their best to achieve results; and
- Willingness to take ownership of challenges and work to develop solutions.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application: ACKX-012044 Director of Fund Development – Valley Zoo Development Society – AB – Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY)
* Please note: Only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.
Employer: Valley Zoo Development Society
Position: Zoominescence, Festival of Light Coordinator
Duration: 10 Weeks / 30 Hours per Week
Start: June 10
Salary: $15.00/ hr
Requirement: Student who was enrolled in a program in the 2017/2018 school year and will be returning to school in the fall of 2018
Description: The Zoominescence, Festival of Light Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the FOL Committee VZDS and Event Committee) with the logistics of a 17 day festival held in December at the Edmonton Valley Zoo. The Festival requires the coordination of 15 major light installations by local artists, community groups and contractors and the coordinator would provide support to the various committees (communications, logistics, community involvement) as well as assisting with the creation of the event plan and them..
This position would be ideal for a student in the following programs: Bachelor of Commerce, Marketing; this festival is a major communications and marketing endeavor with the creation of the Artists Competition package, dissemination of packages. Arts and Cultural Studies, Event Planning or Not For Profit Students.
This position is open to all students between the ages of 15-30 who can commit to 10 weeks and are citizens of Canada. Visible minorities and indigenous students are encouraged to apply.
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children's future and the planet!