ZOOMINESCENCE, A FESTIVAL OF LIGHT
LIGHT IS ENERGIZING. LIGHT IS REVITALIZING.
WEDNESDAY THRU SUNDAY | 3:30 TO 9:30 PM
NOVEMBER 23, 2020 TO JANUARY 3, 2021
Edmonton, the most northern city in North America with a population of over one million, is a world-renowned winter metropolis with the proud title of Festival City. Each December, Zoominescence, hosted by the Valley Zoo Development Society, stages a spectacular exhibition of artistic light installations within the unique setting of the Edmonton Valley Zoo. The festival’s vision is to celebrate light, artistry, imagination and the strong spirit of our community in the winter. Join us for an evening of light, animals, skating, hot chocolate and fun for the whole family!
CALL TO ARTISTS
HEART & SOUL: COMMUNITY RESILIENCE
PROJECT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 10, 2020
Calling all creatives! We are currently seeking organizations or individuals (local artists, architects, designers) with a passion for the arts and the environment to share their vision with the local community. We invite anyone with an artistic vision to design an exhibit for the festival.
The focus of the artwork should be resilience, and coming together as a community, as the theme for this year is Heart & Soul: Community Resilience. In keeping with our environmental stewardship, environmentally friendly or recycled materials are highly recommended. We would like to see pieces that incorporate the zoo’s three pillars of education, stewardship and conservation. Individuals or teams are able to work with recycled materials and renewable energy to design an exhibit that either celebrates one or both of the aforementioned themes. Please keep in mind that the majority of visitors will be children. Many of these exhibits will also include the stars of the Edmonton Valley Zoo themselves, the animals!
A few things to keep in mind regarding the installation application are:
• Chosen projects will be provided with a budget of $3,500.00. Your use of the funds is discretionary as long as the project approved is the project built.
• Power will be provided by the Edmonton Valley Zoo, you just need to ensure the exhibit is maintained: keep in mind our harsh winter conditions. Your project must include power needs and specifications… keeping in mind alternative energy sources are the preferred manner. We require our artists to use timers to minimize the power used during the 22 day festival period.
• Be creative: anything goes here with materials, this can be ice, lights, anything! Just let us know what we can help provide to you!
• This is fun! So keep it light hearted and enjoyable! We want energetic people with a love of the arts to share in this experience.
Project submission deadline is October 10th, 2020. A map is provided to you in the information package outlining the areas for installations and their sizes. Installations will be chosen by the Valley Zoo Development Society and the Edmonton Valley Zoo. Artists will be notified by October 15th, 2020 and announced shortly after. If your submission is selected, you will receive your funding of $3500 after the announcement. Participants must submit a detailed project outline that includes a rendering, material list, required footprint and a description of how their installation either encompasses alternative energy, sends a message about renewable energy by October 10th, 2020. Applicants must include a plan for installation and teardown, including timeline to install and maintenance requirements during the entire festival. You can mail, fax or email your submissions to the following:
Valley Zoo Development Society
13315 Buena Vista Road Box 2359
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
Applicants will be able to select the location of their installations. If you would like to come and see the site please do not hesitate to contact us. To apply, please submit the following:
1. A detailed PDF/DOC File containing the project submission (Max 1 page, no font or size restrictions). This file must be named after the submission title followed by the word “statement”. For example Installation101_statement.doc. Please ensure the file includes the following:
• The concept of your installation describing your project and its central ideas. How does this represent the theme of community resilience? Title this section “Concept.”
• Who will make up your team and what is their experience with these types of competition? Are you a community group? Single artist? School group? Organization? Title this section “Team.”
• What do you intend to be your main materials required for the project? How will the use of these materials incorporate alternative energy and the theme of community resilience? Some example materials we urge you to consider are: LED Lights, recycled metals, timers to minimize your electrical usage, ice, snow and any other materials you can use that are recycled. Title this section “Materials.”
• How will you carry out the project? This may include how you will create the artwork, collaborate with other people or engage specific communities. This will include who will be your primary artist/artists, a general timeline of events, and how you plan to maintain your installation through the festival. Title this section “Process.”
• A drawing of the general idea behind your installation. What placement do you have in mind? Where would be an appropriate spot for your installation? What will it look like?
2. A rendering PDF file containing the full dimensions of your installations, the materials that will make each portion of the installation and any other information regarding your design. This PDF file must be named after the submission title and followed by the word “rendering”. For example installation101_rendering.pdf. All installations will be placed where the igloo has been in previous years.
For more information, please call the Valley Zoo Development Society at 780-496-6924. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support!
Zoominescence vision is to celebrate light, artistry, imagination and the strong spirit of our community in the winter. Check out our 2020 Sponsorship opportunities to discover how your business can get in on the fun and get some great exposure while supporting an amazing cause.
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children’s future and the planet!