Grab your family or a group of friends and bring them on a ZooBuilder adventure at the Edmonton Valley Zoo!
Choose one of TWO amazing experiences and get a zookeeper-led, behind-the-scenes look at some of your favourite zoo animals. ZooBuilders Programs are educational and fun! ZooBuilder experiences are 60 minutes long. When you donate through the ZooBuilder Program the funds raised go towards the revitalization project of Nature’s Wild Backyard Phase Two! Your generosity not only helps improve the homes of the wonderful animals at the zoo but ensures future generations of Edmonton families will be able to enjoy the zoo as well! The Valley Zoo Development Society cannot thank you enough for your generosity!
CHOOSING A ZOOBUILDER PROGRAM
Pinniped ZooBuilder Program (Saturday from 11 am to 12 pm)
Our Pinniped ZooBuilder Program takes you behind the scenes of our Arctic Shores exhibit where two species of pinnipeds- harbor seals and northern fur seals reside. Here you will learn all about the hard work that goes into caring for our graceful seals! Your experience will include preparing their diets for the day, and seeing how we ensure the seals are happy and healthy through our behavioral training program. You will get to watch a training session with one of our seals and learn how the animals are taught to participate in their own health care. At the end of the tour, you will be taken out onto the Arctic Shores beach to get a close-up view of our seals swimming and playing in their outdoor pool.
Red Panda ZooBuilder Program (Saturday from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm)
Explore the world of the Red Panda at Edmonton Valley Zoo’s Animal Encounter. Immerse yourself in the natural behaviors of these adorable creatures as they climb, play, and interact with their specially designed enrichment activities. Join in with your zookeeper’s work, and enrich the lives of the red pandas while learning about the conservation efforts in place to protect this endangered species. Please note that access to the behind-the-scenes building will not be permitted during the encounter due to our animal care protocols. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to deepen your understanding of the red pandas and their world at Edmonton Valley Zoo.
The safety of our animals, guests, and staff is paramount, because of this, we ask that to agree to follow the rules below. If you do not agree to the following rules or are unable to at this time, please let me know and I will rebook your experience in the future.
- A COVID pre-screen checklist will be conducted onsite before the start of the program. If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms at that time, we will rebook the experience in the future.
- Personal Protective Equipment such as masks must be worn for the entire experience.
- You must be fully vaccinated (2 COVID-19 vaccines)and be able to show proof of vaccination at the time of your experience.
- There will be no touching or handling of animals during the program.
- The age limit is 8 years old and up.
- Photography is permitted with your camera or device. However, any behind-the-scenes photos of areas to which the general public does not have access are not permitted to be shared on social media, external websites, etc.
- Participants will meet the ZooBuilder Experience Leader at the Zootique store.
- A Pre-visit screening may be required, including temperature check and hand-sanitizing.
- Participants MUST wear their masks and any other required PPE during their visit and when near the animals.
- There will be no touching or feeding any of the animals unless the zookeeper on the shift agrees. The participant will wear gloves if allowed to feed an animal or handle an enrichment in the yard.
- When doing behind-the-scenes tours, the participants will not be allowed to touch anything in the area. Alternatively, you may be asked to wear gloves when going behind-the-scenes.
- Children can participate in the encounter; however, they must be accompanied by an adult. Safety is the number one priority, and the keeper has to make sure guests and animals are safe. Encounters are more enjoyable for older kids, as younger kids require more caution for the keeper and adult.
- Photographs ARE allowed.
ZooBuilder experiences are between 60 minutes long.
NUMBER OF GUESTS
This experience is for a maximum of 4 people.
CHOOSING A DATE
Please pick 3 Saturday’s that could work for you. We require a minimum of four weeks’ advance notice of your three preferred dates to ensure that the zoo has a zookeeper available to lead your experience.
If you have any allergies you feel we should be aware of, please list them so we can better accommodate you during your visit. We want to make your encounter as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Please let us know if you have any special requests while you are enjoying your encounter. Special requests include things like planning a proposal, birthday surprises, etc. Please note that while we cannot grant every request made, we do our best to make your dream a reality.
For your donation of $500.00 through the ZooBuilder 4 Person Encounter, you will receive a tax receipt for $370.00.