The Valley Zoo Development Society is constantly in need of volunteers to help with fundraising events, to fill Board positions, and more. Whether it’s short-term or long-term volunteer opportunities you are looking for, the Valley Zoo Development Society would welcome the help. Scroll through our current volunteer opportunities, Ark Project Volunteer Opportunities, Board Positions, Ambassadorships, and Zoo Positions to find one that is right for you!
We do not currently need volunteers, but check back soon as this changes often!
Didn’t see what you were looking for? Remember to check back often, as this section is updated regularly. If you are looking to participate in a specific event, volunteer opportunities for Festival of Light (December) are posted end of October/November each year, while volunteer opportunities for ZooFest (June) are posted end of April/May.
BECOME A VALLEY ZOO AMBASSADOR
Children are fascinated by the natural world, especially by animals. By providing them with a fun setting in which they can learn about nature, we can create lifelong ambassadors for the long-term health of all species on our planet.
As part of the revitalization of the Edmonton Valley Zoo, the original footprint of the ‘Storyland Valley Zoo’ will soon be transformed into an interactive space, called Nature’s Wild Backyard, which will feature animal experiences in their most natural setting. The Valley Zoo Development Society has made a commitment to raising nine million dollars in support of this project.
We need individual and corporate champions to help make Nature’s Wild Backyard a reality. We cannot do this without your support.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about making Edmonton a better place for its residents and visitors, and those who want to play a vital role in inspiring new generations of earth ambassadors who care about and are committed to preserving our planet.
We are looking for ambassadors to help raise awareness and funds for this incredible education and conservation facility in our community.
As a Valley Zoo ambassador, you will commit to:
- – raising $5,000
- – making 5 community connections
- – hosting a third party fundraising event
We invite you to join us as a Valley Zoo Ambassador to help us re-energize our zoo and create a space that inspires future generations.
To learn more about the role of the ambassadors or to pledge your support in this role, please contact:
Valley Zoo Development Society
P | 780-944-0569
VOLUNTEER ENDOWMENT FUND DEVELOPER
The Valley Zoo Development Society (VZDS) is seeking an experienced Endowment Fund Developer volunteer to develop and implement an endowment fund as part of a capital campaign as well as increase opportunities for sustained operational funding.
VZDS is a registered charity and not-for-profit organization committed to raising funds and awareness for the Valley Zoo. Since 1988, the VZDS has acted in partnership with the City of Edmonton to ensure the continued development of this treasured local facility.
Reporting to the VZDS Board, the Endowment Fund Developer will:
- create and implement an overall endowment fund development strategy
- develop a framework for major individual and planned giving donors
- assist in developing and implementing a capital campaign
The key role of the Endowment Fund Developer is to improve the revenue of the VDZS. The candidate will engage in a team approach and thereby strengthen our organization’s capacity as a whole.
- develop, implement, and operate an endowment campaign
- develop and maintain a donor data base
- ensure community and funder relationships are developed, enhanced, and nurtured
- ensure that all reporting requirements are met
- experience developing, implementing, and operation of a successful endowment campaign
- demonstrated abilities in strategic planning and problem solving
- proven abilities to work as a team player and to facilitate and mobilize support
- demonstrated, well-developed influencing, negotiating and sales skills
- ability to meet deadlines
- strong writing, presentation, and networking skills
- an understanding of budgets and financial reporting
- fully literate in Word, Excel, and one or more fundraising database program
- outgoing, inclusive, and welcoming in nature
- resourceful, motivated, and energetic
For more information, please call: 780-496-6924
HOW TO APPLY
Please forward resume and covering letter to:
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children's future and the planet!