FESTIVAL OF LIGHT
LIGHT IS ENERGIZING. LIGHT IS REVITALIZING.
The Valley Zoo Development Society would like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to the many sponsors, volunteers, and attendees that helped make the 2015 Festival of Light a huge success!
Edmonton, the most northern city in North America with a population of over one million, is a world-renowned winter metropolis with the proud title of Festival City. People are eager to enjoy activities in their fine city year-round. Our annual Festival of Light celebration is our way of spreading that light and illuminating the spirit of Edmonton.
Each December, the Festival of Light, hosted by the Valley Zoo Development Society, stages a spectacular exhibition of artistic light installations within the unique setting of the Edmonton Valley Zoo. The festival’s vision is to celebrate light, artistry, imagination and the strong spirit of our community in the winter. We would like to invite you to join us for the 4th Annual Festival of Light December 2016.
Look for the lights again next December…
GET INVOLVED - ARTISTIC COMPETITION
ENTRY DEADLINE: August 1, 2016
We are currently seeking organizations or individuals (local artists, architects, designers) with a passion for the arts and the environment to share their vision with the local community. This year we are opening the floor to anyone with an artistic vision, who is interesting in designing an exhibit for the up and coming festival. The theme of the competition is “Alternative Energy”. This theme allows our artists to show their creative side with few restrictions, so individuals or teams are able to work with different light materials, ice sculptures or any other creative ideas to come up with a winter light themed exhibit. Keep in mind, many of these exhibits will also include the stars of the Edmonton Valley Zoo themselves, the animals!
Below is a series of questions we will need you to answer in order for this to be the best Festival of Light yet! Also a few things to keep in mind are:
- Chosen projects will be provided with a budget of $3,500.00. You’re use of the funds is discretionary as long as the project approved is the project built.
- Power will be provided by the Edmonton Valley Zoo, you just need to ensure the exhibit is maintained, keep in mind our harsh winter conditions. Your project must include power needs and specifications…keeping mind alternative energy sources are the preferred manner. We require our artists to use timers to minimize the power used during the 10 day festival period.
- Be creative: anything goes here with materials, this can be ice, lights, anything! Just let us know what we can help provide to you!
- It is a city wide festival, so people from all over Edmonton will be able to view your submission, so it is a great way to gain awareness about your work.
- This is fun! So keep it light-hearted and enjoyable! We want energetic people with a love of the arts to share in this experience.
Click here to see a site layout plan, and start dreaming and planning your submission today.
Download your application by clicking the “Artist Application” above, then fax, email, or mail it to the address shown.
For more information, or to ask specific questions email FOL_Competition@buildingourzoo.com.
GET INVOLVED - SPONSORSHIP
SPONSORSHIP The main objective of this festival is to drive new traffic to the Edmonton Valley Zoo and to draw community awareness to the fact that the Edmonton Valley Zoo is a year-round facility currently undergoing a major transformation. As well, we want to share the art of local community groups, schools, and organizations in a unique way. We hope to provide another way for Edmontonians to enjoy their winter city. The Festival of Light, in partnership with the City of Edmonton, has complete ownership of all its programs and assets, which can be customized to leverage niche partner brand.
Partnering with the Festival of Light provides opportunity for:
- Brand recognition with a loyal, family centric audience.
- Regional exposure with an expected 30,000 on-site visitors and up to 1 million regional imprints via television, radio, and internet coverage.
- Generating goodwill and support for the communities in Edmonton.
- Promoting winter city initiatives, family-centric values and development for the Capital Region.
The Festival of Light has multiple levels of Sponsorship; each level is customizable to our Partner’s goals and objectives. Look for our 2016 Festival of Light Sponsorship Packages in the Fall of 2016.
To check out our current Sponsorship Opportunities, please follow the link above.
GET INVOLVED - VOLUNTEER
VOLUNTEER Each and every event sponsored by the Valley Zoo Development Society is successful thanks to the dozens of local community volunteers that donate their time. Festival of Light volunteer opportunities range from helping string lights in October/ November, to organizing children’s events, to handing out hot chocolate.
There are no current Festival of Light volunteer positions available, but please feel free to check out other volunteer opportunities by following the link above.