We often hear it said that television is now the main medium for teaching children about wildlife. It is not difficult to argue with this proposition, but it cannot compete with getting closer to the real thing.
A visit to the zoo creates a lasting impression. Who could forget a Red Panda baby pouncing on her Mom as she walks past, or the way a prairie dog wriggles its nose while it chews, or the playfulness of a pair of otters? A face-to-face encounter with a Nubian Goat is unlike anything that television could ever offer. Only by getting up close do you realize just how large an elephant is, just how agile monkeys are, just how colorful the parrots are. There is something about a solid, three-dimensional living, moving animal, with all its smells and sounds that imprint upon the mind. For children, the distinction is even more emphatic. Something about the experience that children have when they see a live animal, in the wild or a zoo, cannot be replaced by other teaching aids. This is the key to the powerful educational potential of good zoos.
When you teach a child to be kind to animals, you help pave the way to a brighter future for all living beings. Animals benefit because the next generation has learned to treat them with respect and compassion, reducing instances of animal cruelty. Children benefit because learning about compassion and empathy early in life builds moral character, reduces violence, and builds a sense of empowerment and responsibility. And society as a whole benefits when its members are more caring towards each other and the animals who live among us.
Thank you for your interest in helping support the revitalization of the Edmonton Valley Zoo.
WHITESELL FAMILY Portrait Experience
DONATE $99 OR MORE TO THE VZDS…
…and a $450 Family Portrait Certificate will be yours! Voted Best Photographer by the readers of St. Albert’s T8N Magazine 3 years in a row, Jim Whitesell, strongly believes in giving back and supporting the local community. One of the ways he is giving back, is through his service. Follow the link below and donate $99 or more to the VZDS, and recieve a family portrait certificate valued at $450.00.
The portrait certificate covers the entire portrait experience including:
• Design/planning meeting (to create the portrait look and feel YOU want!)
• Our style guide to help with “What do we wear?”, covering styles, colours, and more
• Location selection – choose studio or on location
• Your Whitesell Portrait Experience
• Your portrait viewing session, where you get to see and choose your final artwork. We can even show what your new portrait art will look like in your own home.
• Installation of portrait wall art in your home or office
• All current Provincial sanitation and distancing guidelines are followed
Support the VZDS while bringing your family together to create lasting memories today!
DONATE A CAR
The Valley Zoo Development Society gratefully accepts vehicle donations through Donate a Car Canada. Donate a Car Canada makes donating a vehicle simple.
To donate your vehicle to the Valley Zoo Development Society follow the link to Donate a Car Canada’s website. Once there, all you have to do is answer a few simple questions to see if your vehicle qualifies, fill out the donation form with your vehicle information and contact information, then select the Valley Zoo Development Society as the charity you wish to donate to. Review the details you’ve entered, agree to the terms and conditions, and submit your vehicle for donation. Check your email for further instructions regarding drop-off, pick-up, or towing. Donate a Car Canada will handle the rest!
FAQ - WHAT CAN I DONATE?
Donate a Car Canada accepts most vehicles including, but not limited to, cars, trucks, vans, SUV’s, trailers, RV’s, and boats. The following conditions must be met for your vehicle to qualify:
- Donation must be made by the registered owner, or their legal representative.
- Vehicle must be registered in Canada.
- Vehicle must be in a complete state with no major parts missing (They do accept vehicles with body damage.)
- Special conditions apply to boats, trailers, or RVs.
- Vehicles with insurance claims against them are NOT accepted.
- Vehicles with liens or encumbrances on them are NOT accepted.
FAQ - IS MY DONATION TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children’s future and the planet!