The Valley Zoo Development Society’s (VZDS) mission is to raise funds and promote awareness to ensure the continued development of the Edmonton Valley Zoo. This is achieved through the events and various programs that the VZDS runs throughout the year. Currently, there are three fundraising events that the VZDS organizes including Zoofest and the Festival of Light. Programs that the Valley Zoo Development Society runs include the Adopt an Animal Program and Lucy the Elephant Art.
Each year the Valley Zoo Development Society donates thousands to the Edmonton Valley Zoo for development and continual improvement. Past projects that the VZDS has contributed to include the elephant house, the red panda exhibit, the lemur habitat, upgrades to the Zoo Veterinary Clinic, and upgrades to the big horned sheep exhibit. The VZDS also donates money to various charities including the Elephant Foundation and Snow Leopard Trust. Recently the VZDS has committed to raising over $9 million dollars to fund the Natures Wild Back Yard portion of the Valley Zoo Revitalization project.
The Valley Zoo Development Society (VZDS) is a registered charity and not-for-profit that was started in 1988.The VZDS acts in partnership with the City of Edmonton to ensure the continued development of the beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo. Owned and operated by the City of Edmonton, the Valley Zoo is currently home to over 350 animals and more than 100 species. The Valley Zoo has grown significantly since it opened in 1959, as The Storyland Valley Zoo, in its current location in Laurier Park. Once a 5-acre petting zoo, the Valley Zoo is now an educational facility, which contributes to the conservation of global biodiversity through its participation in the Species Survival Program (SSP).
Charitable Registration Number: 88639 7595 RR0001
(Past President Brent Willett)
Director, Fund Development:
Members at Large:
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
NOMINATION FORM FOR THE BOARD OF THE VALLEY ZOO DEVELOPMENT SOCIETY
The nominating committee will consider current directors whose term is expiring and who wish to stand for election or re-election in the same manner as other candidates, taking under consideration the Director’s performance during his or her term, including consideration of the following factors:
- Understanding and support of the VZDS objects and goals;
- Ability and willingness to attend all Board meetings, and to actively support the organization through continuous and voluntary efforts during the director term;
- Effective communication, including contribution at Board and committee meetings and on behalf of the VZDS as requested;
- Preparation for and participation at Board and committee meetings;
- Support of Board decisions and actions, regardless of how the director voted;
- An open mind to the views of others and the ability to change or adjust positions after hearing them;
- Represent and promote the organization in public: serve as a bridge between the organization and the wider community
- Set policies and mitigate risks.
- Understand financial integrity: fulfill non-profit charitable requirements; ensure fiscal policies are in place and followed; develop and adopt budgets; ensure effective use of funds
- Compliance with governing legislation and by-laws, particularly conflict of interest, confidentiality and duty of care provisions.
ESPECIALLY FOR THE 2017-2018 YEAR:
- A proven leader in the community with expertise in the area of fundraising.
- Familiar with annual and major gift fundraising and capital campaigns.
- Raise funds through personal networks, and/or participate in indirect fundraising activity
- Experience developing and implementing fundraising plans in the $8-10M range.
- Skilled in “big picture” and strategic thinking
- Board experience an asset.
Please forward your interest with contact information and a brief bio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
HELP BUILD OUR ZOO!
It is through today’s zoos that future generations will come to a greater understanding of the human impact on the natural world and be motivated to preserve it and reverse the damage already done. Every donation, big or small, helps us revitalize our beloved Edmonton Valley Zoo! Thank you for caring for the animals, our children's future and the planet!